Labour immigration makes the labour market work better

Immigration of skilled workers helps to ease labour market bottlenecks. Employers are able to recruit workforce from EU and EEA countries and attract people with special skills from other parts of the world. The Government promotes the immigration of skilled workers.

International employment services at TE Offices help employers in the recruitment of workforce from other countries. The EURES job network and advisers offer international recruitment services.

Work permit services at TE Offices

Recruitment of non-specialist employees from outside the EU and the EEA usually requires an worker’s residence permit. The first permit is granted by the Finnish Immigration Service and the extension by the police. Before the permit decision, work permit services at TE Offices issue a partial decision in which it is determined whether

  • there are employees available for the vacant task in the labour market
  • the employment terms are in accordance with the law and collective agreements
  • the employees’ means of support are secured during their stay in Finland
  • the employer has the willingness and capability to manage its obligations as an employer

Residence permits for persons coming to work in Finland as specialists

Persons with special expertise recruited from outside the EU and the EEA can be granted a special residence permit for gainful employment. Granting the permit usually requires that the applicants have a university degree and the required special skills and that their pay levels correspond to their expertise.

Residence permits are issued by the Finnish Immigration Service. TE services do not participate in permit consideration.

Seasonal work

Seasonal work in agriculture and tourism requires a seasonal work permit in accordance with the Seasonal Labour Act, either a seasonal work permit, a seasonal work visa or a seasonal work certificate. These permits are granted by the Finnish Immigration Service.

Further information
Olli Sorainen, olli.sorainen(at)