New working group to prepare a reform of services for unaccompanied minors who have received a residence permit
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment has appointed a working group to prepare a reform of services for children and young people who have arrived in Finland without a guardian and who have been granted a residence permit. The reform aims to ensure that the young people have equal access to services, similar to other groups in need of special support.
In accordance with the objectives set out in the integration report, the working group is tasked with preparing a proposal for reforming the legislation on how services should be organised for unaccompanied minors and young people who have been granted a residence permit.
The aim is to ensure that these children and young people have equal access to services in the same way as other groups in need of special support under the Social Welfare Act. The working group will also examine state compensation for related services.
In relation to unaccompanied minors who have been issued a residence permit, the working group will examine:
• provision of services in relation to the Social Welfare Act,
• responsibility for housing arrangements and their provision; and the role of the new wellbeing services counties,
• legislation on family care,
• legislation on after-care,
• provision of services if these are not provided under the Integration Act, including services for those who have obtained Finnish citizenship, and
• quality, supervision and improvements to system of representatives; registration of representatives
Work to be completed next autumn
The term of the working group is from 21 October 2021 to 31 October 2022 and it will be chaired by Paula Karjalainen, Ministerial Adviser at the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment. The working group may consult experts.
In addition to the Ministry’s own specialists, the working group includes representatives from the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, the Ministry of the Interior, the ELY Centres of Uusimaa, Pirkanmaa and North Ostrobothnia, the Cities of Espoo and Tampere and the Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities.
Anna Bruun, Ministerial Adviser, tel. +358 295 048 254
Paula Karjalainen, Ministerial Adviser, tel. +358 295 047 117