Cooperation in the EU and at other international forums
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment promotes sustainable economic growth, employment and competitiveness in the EU and other international forums.
Ensuring better conditions for business operations and employment by:
- simplifying regulation in the European Union (EU), by ensuring more effective implementation of EU programmes and by reducing the regulatory burden of companies arising from EU legislation
- supporting the development of the European Union’s internal market, especially in services, energy and digital services and by promoting mobility of labour
- promoting research, development and innovation, as well as bilateral economic cooperation with our main partner countries.
Broad activity in different forums
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment is a partner in the Team Finland network. The Team Finland network promotes Finland and its interests abroad: Finland’s external economic relations, internationalisation of Finnish companies, international investments in Finland and Finland’s country brand.
The ministry’s engagement in the EU and at other international forums is based on Finland’s international commitments, the Government Programme, Government’s EU strategies and the ministry’s own priorities.
The ministry is engaged in international cooperation on a bilateral basis and at a number of different forums. Key forums include:
- European Union (EU)
- Nordic Council of Ministers (NCM)
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- United Nations (UN) and its specialized agencies
International Labour Organization (ILO)
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Council of Europe (COE)
The ministry’s departments are responsible for content-related issues in accordance with their division of labour. The ministry’s unit for EU and International Affairs is responsible for the overall coordination of EU and other international matters and it supports the ministry’s senior management in international tasks.
Inquiries: Director of EU and International Affairs Mia Hurtta, mia.hurtta(at)gov.fi.
Finnish Presidency in the Nordic Council of Ministers 2021
Finland holds the presidency in the Nordic Council of Ministers for year 2021. In the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, all departments are responsible for the presidency preparations. The department for EU and international affairs is in charge of the general coordination of the presidency preparations in the ministry.