The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment (MEAE) is part of the Government. MEAE's task is to build an operating environment and to ensure productivity, growth, high levels of employment and well-being.
The following areas fall within the ministry’s remit:
- industrial policy
- innovation and technology policy, internationalisation of enterprises and technical safety
- functionality of markets, promotion of competition and consumer policy
- employment and unemployment matters, as well as public employment services
- work-environment issues, non-discrimination in working life, collective agreements and arbitration of industrial disputes
- regional development and co-operation areas of the regional councils
- energy policy and coordination of the preparation and implementation of the climate policy at national level
- overall administrative steering of Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment and
- integration of immigrants
- non-military service
As part of the Government, the ministry implements the Government Programme, drafts legislation, monitors and develops issues falling within its remit and steers the agencies in its administrative branch.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment has three ministers: the Minister of Economic Affairs, the Minister of Employment and the Minister of the Environment, Energy and Housing.