Preparation of energy and climate policy scenarios
When preparing energy and climate policy scenarios, each ministry is responsible for the projections concerning its own sector. The ministries work in close cooperation to ensure that sector-specific examinations are consistent and describe the same development paths.
A scenario unit comprising public servants prepares the different scenarios used in the energy and climate strategy. The scenario unit prepares a general scenario framework that includes the basic premises of different scenarios. The scenario framework describes the most important factors influencing future developments, such as population growth, economic development and changes in energy prices.
Each ministry estimates the development of its own sector and/or commissions expert organisations to perform the necessary sector-specific studies. The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment coordinates the preparations and compiles the information.
Division of duties between ministries
In scenario calculations, the emissions and energy use sectors and the responsibility for certain other data are divided among the ministries in the following manner:
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment:
- Electricity consumption
- Total energy consumption
- Supply of electricity and district heating.
Ministry of the Environment:
- F-gas emission scenarios
- Waste sector: quantity of waste incinerated, landfill emissions, and waste water and composting emissions
- Buildings: building volume, heating demand, sources of heat, and related changes
- Machinery energy consumption
Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry:
- Non-energy-related emissions in agriculture
- Biomass volumes
- Energy consumption in agriculture
Ministry of Transport and Communications:
- Energy consumption and emissions in road, waterborne, air and rail transport
- Percentages of biocomponents in fuels
Ministry of Finance:
- Economic growth
Further information: petteri.kuuva(at)gov.fi