Call for applications opens on 1 December: A new programme launched to boost employment in municipalities through procurement
Call for applications for employment policy project support has been opened to municipalities on 1 December 2020. The call is part of a programme aimed at boosting employment through public procurement. Applications will be accepted until 31 December 2020 in all TE Offices.
The national objective is to launch at least 15 regional pilot projects involving several municipalities, which together develop new employment opportunities using public procurement. Municipalities may need separate resources to build the operating model for employment through public procurement and to develop cooperation relationships. The project offers a solution to this by mapping out the types of procurement projects in which the operating model can be used.
A new programme for boosting employment through procurement aims to increase support for employment through public procurement, as per the Government Programme. The programme can help support access to employment for people with partial work capacity or those who have been unemployed for a long time, for example.
“This call for applications highlights the Government’s willingness to give municipalities a pragmatic way through public procurement to meet the requirement to provide employment. Municipalities can focus on this task thanks to the separate resources provided by the projects. The aim is to facilitate access to employment for those who are in a vulnerable position in the labour market and to create a functional model,” says Minister of Employment Tuula Haatainen.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment is responsible for implementing the programme. The project is coordinated nationally by the Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities. The municipal projects to be launched now form a network of projects.
“The new project will further strengthen the role of municipalities in dealing with employment issues. It is positive that the model is being advanced, because the call for applications has attracted a great deal of interest in municipalities,” says Timo Reina, Deputy Managing Director of the Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities.
Information on the call for applications for boosting employment through procurement
- Application period runs from 1 December to 31 December 2020 and applications should be submitted to the regional TE Office
- Applications can be submitted by one municipality or several municipalities in cooperation
- The project offers 50% of funding (employment policy project support) to build and develop a model for promoting employment through procurement
- The procurement projects will either employ people during the project period or the requirement to employ will be used in procurement during the project period
- A national coordination project by the Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities will provide practical assistance and feedback to municipalities
Piia Rekilä, Special Adviser to the Minister of Employment, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, tel. +358 50 396 3574
Päivi Haavisto-Vuori, Ministerial Adviser, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, tel. +358 295 049 056
Anu Tirkkonen, Project Manager, Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities, tel. +358 40 5473 944